Since the data is sent at the server level instead of the browser, the event tracking with the Conversion API requires that you collect user identification information. That means you’ll need to collect data like their name, email address, phone, etc. The more data you can collect, the better the event tracking will work because it will give Facebook more information about the user to try and match them to a Facebook account.
That means tracking “softer” conversion events that do not collect user data is not going to work. This is especially challenging for those that are not eCommerce that typically use those “softer” conversion events to optimizations.
- Clicks to call
- Get directions
- PDF downloads
- Button clicks
- Or any other softer conversion event that does not collect user data.
Because of this, advertisers will have to rethink how they utilize Facebook advertising for “top of funnel” advertising. Since you can’t track top-of-funnel events, you may have to restructure your campaigns to focus more on awareness driving, engagement, and general website traffic.
For bottom-of-funnel events like transactions, lead forms, and others, the Conversion API is definitely the way to go.
The “glass is half full” outlook is that this currently only affects those in iOS devices. According to Statista, that is currently ~56% of the mobile market share. That means the other ~44% of mobile users are unaffected. Not to mention that there are still people who use desktops and laptops, which are also not affected by the iOS privacy updates. That being said, it’s very likely this is the beginning of the end for web browser pixels. Expect to see Android follow suit, and also for desktop / laptop operating systems to see this change as well.